J&K

Death toll in Kulgam gunfights rises to 8 – The Kashmir Horizon

Srinagar: Two more militants were killed in the twin gunfights that started yesterday in Jammu and Kashmir’s Kulgam district, taking the toll to eight, officials said.

The encounters, which began on Saturday in the villages of Modergam and Chinnigam in Kulgam, also led to the deaths of Lance Naik Pradeep Kumar of the elite para unit and Sepoy Pravin Janjal Prabhaker of the Rashtriya Rifles battalion.

J&K Director General of Police R R Swain said on Sunday that the killing of six militants was a big “milestone” for the security forces as it would strengthen the security environment.

“As per the confirmation, encounters have happened on two different encounter sites, and six terrorists have been neutralised so far,” he said. “These successful operations are very meaningful for strengthening security… These operations also carry the message that people do not want any more killing due to terrorism,” he added.

The first encounter erupted at Modergam Village of Kulgam on Saturday when joint teams of forces were carrying out a cordon and search operation (CASO) in the area following an input about the presence of militants. In this encounter, two militants and a paracommando were killed.

Another gunfight broke out at Chinigam village after the area was cordoned off after intelligence inputs. In this encounter, four militants and a soldier from an RR unit were killed.

Police sources said one anti-militancy operation has been called off while the second one is still ongoing.

The police have not disclosed the identities of the six slain militants so far.

Meanwhile, the Indian Army held a wreath-laying ceremony at the Badami Bagh headquarters of Srinagar-based 15 Corps for the two soldiers killed in the action with militants.

UNI

About Author


Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button
Close

Adblock Detected

You Have Adblocker Continue anyway